Registration for judges closes on March 22, 2019. When you register, please select your areas of expertise, which will help us match you with related projects. We encourage you to register early, to help us estimate our final numbers.
The judging team will contact you to confirm your participation at the fair and will provide you more information about the judging process.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email with details of your judging assignment approximately one week before the fair, along with orientation materials for you to preview.
Each year, the Greater Vancouver Regional Science Fair (GVRSF) welcomes returning and new judges who will evaluate the projects of hundreds of students on a variety of criteria such as scientific thought, originality and creativity, and communication. Judging is one of the most critical moments of the fair, when the students have the chance to discuss, communicate and share their ideas with scientists and engineers who will perhaps become future colleagues and mentors.
Judging at the GVRSF is an enjoyable and constructive experience:
- Learn about the remarkable work and enthusiasm of some of our region’s brightest young scientists.
- Give back to the scientific community by providing constructive feedback to the scientists and engineers of tomorrow.
- Connect with peers, scientists and engineers in other fields who are similarly passionate about STEAM education.
- Further your understanding of how today’s students view the world.
For most students, the GVRSF is the final stage in the science fair process. Students originally participating in classroom and school fairs proceed to the level of district fairs followed by regional fairs like the GVRSF. As a judge, you will play a role in deciding which of the projects will be sent to the national level. In 2019, the Canada-Wide Science Fair will take place in Fredericton, New Brunswick on May 11-18, 2019.
- A Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent expertise) in science, engineering or a related discipline is required.
- We welcome all award sponsors and their representatives to participate in the adjudication process.
Date: Thursday, April 4, 2019
- Round 1: 1:30 – 5:00PM
- Round 2: 5:30 – 8:30PM
Please note that judges are required to be at the fair 30 minutes before the official start of each round of judging (2PM and 6PM, respectively), to find their teams and collect necessary information for that round of judging.
You can volunteer to judge in Round 1, Round 2, or both sessions.
Light refreshments will be provided to all judges between Round 1 and Round 2.
- One week before the GVRSF, you will receive a email from the judging team to ask you to check your judging assignment using the online registration system.
- When you arrive at the GVRSF, we will have signage posted to help you find the judging room where you can meet your judging teammates. You will be provided with your judging assignment, judging schedule, and judging forms when you arrive.
- Judging time:
The students receive a schedule at the beginning of the fair that indicates when they can expect a judge and when they may leave their projects to participate in other activities. For this reason, please stick to the time slots on the judging schedule with which you are provided.
Although you are a part of a judging team, you will conduct your project interviews individually. The interviews take place in 20-minute time slots; 15-minutes are allocated for the interview, followed by a 5-minute period to write down comments and move on to the next student. The end of the interview period and comment-writing period will be indicated by a bell to ensure that all participants have the same judging experience.
Take notes as you interview each project, as you will provide written feedback to the student afterwards.
- Once you have conducted all of your interviews, meet with your team in the judging room where you will compare your rankings, fill out the final judging forms and provide written feedback for the students. Please do not leave before ensuring that a member of the Chief Judging team has received your rankings.